Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Clock Doesn't Lie

Today, I went for a run, 4 miles in 35:24, each mile more painful than the last. It was my third run of the week and my fourth workout, each one more painful than the last. The clock does not lie, I'm getting slower.

On days like today, I am reminded of the Simon and Garfunkel lyric from "The Boxer," that reads, "I am older than I once was, but younger than I'll be. That's not unusual. No it isn't strange after changes upon changes, we are more or less the same."

The reality is that my best days as an athlete are likely behind me--that isn't strange, life has changed, and I'm getting older. But what has remained the same is that I'm always hopeful. I'm hopeful that the next workout will be better, that maybe there is another good marathon left to be run, and that maybe the clock will tell a different story once again, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment