Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My Mid-life Crisis

One year from tomorrow I’ll turn 40, and I’m finding that fact somewhat difficult to accept. Call it a mid-life crisis. Time, I am realizing, may or may not be still on my side. I feel 39, and that’s not all good. I feel tired more often than years ago. I feel aches I never have before. I feel older.

More than anything, though, I feel a sense of urgency—urgency to make a difference in the lives of others; urgency to ensure others know how I feel about them; urgency to leave no goal unaccomplished.

My commitment for this year is to roll with this mid-life crisis. When I turn 40 one year from today, I hope that you won’t recognize me as a result of this mid-life crisis. I hope that I glorify Him with how I treat not only others but myself. I hope that those I love are increasingly blessed by His words and deeds through me. I hope that I am more focused and disciplined, and that I finish my dissertation. No, my mid-life crisis will not be defined by a sports car or a new adventurous hobby. My mid-life crisis will leave no doubt as to what I believe, whom I love and what is important to me.

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring Jim. I hit that number in a couple of days, and I too am feeling many of the thoughts you are.

    ReplyDelete